Pages

Monday 8 June 2009

Words but just not mine

I do tend to bury myself in a book when I can't face the world. Right now I am losing myself in the 'The Luminous Life of Lilly Aphrodite' but more of that another time.

Before I could start on this I had to finish Salman Rushdie's 'The Enchantress of Florence'. I have only recently discovered the joy of Mr Rushdie's story telling; Midnight's Children had me racing through the pages yet willing it not to end - always the sign of a good book.

The Enchantress is indeed a talented tale, a tale of tales within tales as varied as the lead character's multi-coloured lozenge coat. It really is a fairy tale, Laurence of Arabia meets Lucretia we travel through time and lands, fantasy and history.

It really wouldn't seem at all credible except that there is a four page bibliography at the back. I admire the amount of research almost as much as the imagination.

It is a little complicated so really not a dip-in-and-out read more of something to loose yourself for hours, long pleasurable hours.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Ohh thanks for the recommendation. I have not yet read any of his stuff, but will order Midnight's Children immediately. xx