Pages

Thursday 29 January 2009

Cruisin' for a bruisin'

Isobel has been 'cruising' for about a month now. I have no idea why it is called cruising; to me cruising implies floating on calm Mediterranean seas on the QE2 or Britannia, dining with the captain, sipping cocktails, basically travelling in first class style. (Yes, I know ships are called the Aurora etc nowadays (yes I am old) but they don't quite have the grace that I associate with cruise ships.)

None of this bears any resemblance to the heart-stopping (mine) lurching (hers) from piece of furniture to piece of furniture that Isobel does.

Ok, so she has got steadier and more confident as time has gone on, the confidence often coming before the steadiness, but I guess that's how we learn. She can now clap her hands ands re-grab what ever inappropriate thing (toilet seat, fireguard...) it was she was using to keep herself standing, she doesn't ALWAYS land on her bottom. And after 2 bit lips in two days she seems to have worked that one out too.

It's just me that struggles to know when to catch and when top let her take an educational tumble, and no I don't mean from a great height, like the bed or anything - I did that already and it still makes me sick to think about it.

Maybe she is more like the modern day cruise ship the Freedom of the Seas.

All I can say is thank heavens for Arnica cream - the bruise on her head from the bed tumble is well and truly gone already, even if my guilt hasn't.



This is Isobel's favourite cruising corner, she can go from fireguard (inappropriate but it is attached to the wall), to mirror cube (yep, inappropriately sharp cornered with tv on top - can't think of mitigation for that), to her truck, to her chair, to her bead-table, the step to wheely-bug cow often proves too much and then we both have to sit down.

2 comments:

holly said...

if Isobel is anything like my son, you should get stock in that cream while you can. i'd now own 30% of sudocrem if i'd done that.

Anonymous said...

the other thing you need to buy shares in is any company that makes hair clips/slides/toggles..the amount you buy then loose is astonishing..