Pages

Saturday 4 April 2009

Weather girls

I know us Brits have a reputation for talking about the weather, but is it really that surprising? Our weather always is surprising us and it never quite gets it right. It's too hot, too cold, too wet, too dry, and our seasons never quite tally.

You can always guess what time of day someone got dressed, in fact doing so is one of my favourite games.

Take today: Isobel and I were up early, when we left the house I had removed the parasol from the pushchair for easy raincover access, Isobel was wearing a jumper and raincoat, me I had on coat and boots, and PD was exclaiming that t was colder than yesterday.

By the time we had been to the cafe, the library and the swings, a different look could be seen on the streets of Twickers; more cardie than coat and pumps not boots.

By the afternoon I'd swapped woolly tights and boots for leggings and pumps and Isobel was playing in the garden in her vest and I was coating her in sunscreen.

I know there are some people who dress for the alleged season, I had one friend who swapped the contents of her wardrobe twice a year when the clocks change. A risky strategy if you ask me.

Is it any surprise that one of my most used apps on the iPhone is the Yahoo Weather.

3 comments:

Coding Mamma (Tasha) said...

Oh the weather has been really annoying me the last few days. It's cold and windy and foggy in the morning, so we go out all bundled up and by the afternoon it's absolutely baking and there's no breeze at all. I'm going to have to start dressing Rosemary in winter clotehs in the morning and packing summer clothes and sunscreen for her to change into later!

(And, look, yes we can talk about the weather a lot.)

A Modern Mother said...

Nice post. I'm missing the weather at the moment ... in sunny (and predictable) California...

BTW -- am highlighting your blog on mummy bloggers this week...

Perfectly Happy Mum said...

You are so right! The weather has been so funny lately.
I must say that it always amazes me to see people wearing flip flops in march when it is sunny but not that hot!