Pages

Thursday 30 April 2009

I felt the fear and I did it anyway...

Sometimes it's easy to forget who you are and all the things you have done that make you 'more than just a mum'.

So last night, over wine and whisky, I was reminded of all the fearless things I have done:

Lived in Australia for a year at the age of 19;
I have swum with wild dolphins;
Jumped off a bridge only with the aid of big knicker-elastic. Ok it was VERY big knicker elastic but ultimately it was just elastic;
I have held some one's hand as they took their last breath;
I have trekked in the Andes to Macchu Picchu;
I also have stood up in front of 500 people to give a charity speech, now on more than one occasion;
Learnt to rise a bike in my thirties;

And now I am raising a child.

If I can do it anyone can, but that doesn't make it any the less scary.

Sometimes it's worth reminding yourself how far you have come, if only to give you the strength to carry on.

3 comments:

Mamma Po said...

Some fantastic and awesome achievements.

But I reckon the hardest, most challenging yet ultimately most rewarding, has to be the very last one of all...Motherhood. And just to survive that takes the geratest courage. Well done us!

Unknown said...

Indeed I think every mummy deserves every moment of joy she receives and all those she watches her child bestow on others too.

Having a child is definately a leap of faith.

nixdminx said...

that's brilliant, it's such a great thing to look at such highpoints (and low) and keep your engine running on full... must try that list myself...