Pages

Monday 2 February 2009

A rant

Ok, so it's pretty outside and I wanted to write a pretty post about the snow, you know to go with the picture I posted.

But, I flicked to the BBC to check the weather - I know I've already said it's snowing, but I am English and therefore obviously need to be told again. Instead of the weather, or was it as well as, in my upset I can't remember, I read this article http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/education/7861762.stm, which basically said being a single AND a working mum, not only am I breading a malcontent but that I am ruining society. NICE.

But what I am I to do? I was bought up by a single mum who didn't choose to be single, and yes I do I have a few issues, but I am not a bad person. Mummy did a good job, but I was adamant I didn't want to be a single mum.

Then I got pregnant - should I have had an abortion because didn't have a ring on my finger? When PD decided to leave when Isobel was 12 weeks old, should I have put her up for adoption? Yes, it is hard accepting financial support from someone who rejected me, so I would like to be financially independent, let's face it I have been for the last 17 years, but I have accepted the support and even though I am back at work, I am earning less so I can be flexible for my child so still need money help.

Is this me having it all?

3 comments:

Coding Mamma (Tasha) said...

Oh wow. Well, first of all, the report is based on statistics (which can easily be made to lie), not on people's real lives.

Secondly, the working mothers bit was claiming that it was the economic independence of working mothers that leads to more family break-ups than in the past. Which essentially means (as we all know) that women used to be economically trapped in unhappy (and often much worse) marriages, because there was no way for them to survive without the financial backing of a man.

I know plenty of adults who were brought up by one parent, or dually by divorced parents. I don't know any who would have preferred to be living with two parents who fought or were constantly unhappy.

Blah! It does say that the report is likely to be controversial.

One of the contributors was the Archbishop of Canterbury. Hmmm.

I'm sure there are some useful things in the report, not least of which is setting children up as being of utmost importance, but a report such as this one can only be seen in general terms, and not related to specific situations.

You have done what the vast majority of mothers do - their best in the circumstances within which they find themselves; the best, as they see it, for their children. What more can we do?

You are doing a fantastic job and don't let any silly statistics tell you otherwise.

Anonymous said...

Don't read the papers, they are crap.

Blogs are much better, and more realistic.

Unknown said...

Tasha, you are right of course, I think it's frustration at not having manage the 'perfect' family.

But then who says what perfect is?!

And again MM, you too are spot on, I guess that's why I prioritse my google reader content over the BBC!