Pages

Sunday 8 February 2009

I know I'm not the first

I know many mums have done it before me and will, probably continue doing it after me, but being a working mum is tricky.

Going to work is actually the easy bit, it's quite tricky to entertain and WATCH a little person all day, I love it but it can be hard. Going to work is a breeze; I get to read my book on the train, I can drink my coffee hot and order whatever I want for lunch without worrying whether it is suitable for Isobel and her sharing.

Plus, I just have to do one thing at a time, more or less.

What really, REALLY, is tough is when little girl is sick, as she seems to have been since I started back at work. For the last four days she has had a fever and now her throat is so sore she sounds like a seal. Every time she cries, which she does quite a bit because she feels miserable, she cries extra because it hurts.

There is no way she is going to be better by tomorrow. Her temperature is ok now, but she hasn't eaten for days because her throat is sore, so I need to take her to the doctor.

But, I am meant to be at work.

4 comments:

Coding Mamma (Tasha) said...

It's a nightmare, isn't it? We're fortunate that we can usually juggle our work and do some in the evenings and weekends. But it must be really difficult when you have to cancel work, or find alternative arrangements.

Hope she's better tomorrow and/or you manage to work something out.

Nicky said...

I know exactly what you mean, and employers no matter how 'understanding' they are cannot get the fact that your child needs you. I can't offer you any answers, just the knowledge that I go through it too.

Unknown said...

I actually am really lucky, I'm working for an old client and project manager, who knew I would take a MASSIVE rate decrease in return for flexible working.

But as it is only my third week and last week snow go in the way, I do still feel kind of bad.

Not to mention the fact that I was looking forward to the money coming in!

But little grl has tonsilitus, so she needs me and that's what takes priority - even if I do have to drink cold coffee.

Thanks guys for the support.

Sass said...

Don't let the guilt get to you. People have pretty short memories for this sort of stuff.

Don't dwell on it, be matter of fact and be clear (with yourself and your colleagues) that whenever you are being a 'worker' or a mum, you are doing the best you can.