Pages

Tuesday 12 August 2008

A day at the English Seaside or Hut Day One explained

Okay, so all my posts are a little higgldy-piggldy. That's what happens when you try and back-post and test your mobile for real-time posting at the same time.

On Sunday I read that only a small percentage of British children had actually been to the seaside in the UK. As someone who grew up on an Island, in a beach hut renting /owning family, that just seems completely unbelievable.

Anyway, as you've seen, on Monday, Isobel and I went to The Hut. Normally the family do only go to the Hut on 'hut days', days when the sun is at least attempting to shine. But it was Paul's last day before returning to LA LA land, so we went to the hut to eat crab sandwiches and ice-cream, not at the same time of course.

Well, if you saw the weather forecast on Monday you will not be surprised to hear that at one point we were in the Hut sheltering from the rain. Luckily it was a somewhat heavy but only brief, shower.

Yes, we did look like sad grockles* determined to make the most of their holiday. Unfortunately, as it is forecast to rain for the rest of the week, I'm not sure we'll get any actual 'Hut Days'.

I'm really not sure what the point of this post is - it doesn't sound like I'm selling the paradise that is the Isle of Wight. Am I just boasting that my child WILL have to suffer the indignity of going to the English Seaside on an English Summers day, but she won't have to worry about getting sand in her sandwiches because we have a hut?

*Isle of Wight for holiday-maker.

No comments: