Pages

Saturday 12 January 2008

NCT

Yesterday was our first NCT (National Childbirth Trust) class, but I had to brave the first day on my own, RD unfortunately couldn't get time off as he has only just started his new job. Anyway, disappointment aside, it was actually ok.

People were cool, 7 couples all of the Bugaboo classes,all living pretty much across the street from each other with babies due within about 2 weeks of each other. I was a little intimidated by how successful and together everyone seemed to be, which, as usual, lead me to talk too much! Hey ho, it was good to meet people who are also a little shocked by the fact that they are about to have a baby.

Anyway, the day was good and very educational, I hadn't heard of 'transition phase' before (the in between stage where Jekyll turns into Hyde or vice versa). A lot of practicing birth positions for both first stage and 2nd stage labour (all upright of course); I couldn't really practice, although I paired up with the other solo girl in the group, our bumps got in the way somewhat!

I didn't realise how much labour was pressing on my mind until RD told me he couldn't come and then, as much as I tried to only be disappointed but understanding, I turned a little snappy.

Well, the class has at least got RD and I talking properly about the birth, even if he wasn't there. It's shattered my pre-conceived ideas about his pre-conceived ideas about his role in the whole thing. I thought he was just thinking of mopping my brow, holding my hand and saying 'there, there' as I lie on a bed. When I showed him all the position pictures, pictures of partners being physically supportive, he said that was what he was thinking too. I also didn't realise how much 'The Blokes Guide to Pregnancy' had taught him - he did know about the transition phase. I Judged him a little harshly, but I'm glad we've talked it through now. He's even going to cut the cord.

He does seem to be most taken with the 'What's in the Nappy' leaflet though. It's pictures of baby poos really. But then maybe his dream about our daughter having a poo obsession leading to poo castles and poo pictures, was more about him than her!

No comments: