Pages

Thursday 31 January 2008

Last Day

Today is my last day at work for at least the next 8 months, and being a contractor, even then I have no idea where I may end up working. While I am mostly glad to be leaving The City there are a few things I will miss:

I have been on this project for over a year now (and I'm leaving just as things are hotting up) and, personally, it’s been a pretty tricky year that has not been without incident, but I have worked with some amazing people and it is those who I will miss. I am the non-techy in a technical team and have resolutely stayed that way and no-one has held it against me.

I have rowed pregnant in the Dragon Boat team (and yes we won!) and enjoyed the team building - even if I couldn't join in on the bumper cars.


My pregnancy may mean I missed making the most of the after work drinks but it has still been a very sociable project to work for. Throughout my pregancy I have been surrounded by support and I have made some great friends who I hope I manage to stay in touch with. Maybe I’ll even work with them again.

I will definitely miss the chatty side of working in an office, I’ll miss the lunch choices that come with being in the centre of town and the ease of heading out for a night out and catching up with friends on my way home. I’ll miss the coffee shop knowing my order and having it ready before I get to the counter.

While I won’t miss this crush on the Waterloo and City line (even though I am let into the front of the queue these days), I will miss my favourite busker, Nigel on Wednesday mornings at Bank; he has brought ‘Here Comes the Sun’ back into my life and tear to my eye on more than one occasion. Yesterday, I not only voted for him on Buskear but I gave him £10 as I had no change. Like I say, he is a good busker.

I will miss the kindness of strangers I have experienced during my commute over the last few months. While my cape has on, very rare, occasions hidden my bump a little well, for the most part I have been well and truly looked after. When the train has been so packed I can’t make it down the aisle or because I’m getting off the next stop I have stayed in the vestibule, people have taken to forming a very protective ring around me, wishing me well and generally taking care of me. Everyone loves a pregnant lady – I was told on Tuesday that that is because we are making the world go on.

Maybe, just maybe, I’ll miss working.

1 comment:

Cumulus said...

Good luck and enjoy maternity leave!