Pages

Monday 21 July 2008

Project Me

Funny how life gets divided up into phases which, more often than not, are defined by the people we are with.

Right now I'm in an Isobel phase and that probably will continue for sometime, but my shifting role into that of a mother and the accompanying hiatus from work allows me the opportunity to take a look at someone else who is important in my life, someone who, if honest, is normally too busy trying to be what she thinks everyone wants her to be to be herself. Yes, it's ME.

I want to find out what makes my heart sing and if I can bring that joy into my daily life, maybe even earn a living at it. Now the only ambition I've really had was to be on Jackanory, but I guess I'll settle for reading stories to my kid. And as I don't think anyone is going to give me a bookshop anytime soon I've started a new project; Project Me.

To this end I've bought a book called 'Zen and the Art of Making a Living', it seems quite a cool mix of karma and careers advice. But, and it's a big but, it's one of those books that asks questions, you know they want you to stop and fill in the blanks. Now I'm not good at that, I don't have reams of childhood memories from which to plot my future. But I'll give it a go.


Ps. Does it say something about me that I feel I have to have a brand new notebook to start this project? Something other than I used to love the trip to Woolies to stock my pencil case at the start of a new school year - ooh that was a childhood memory!

No comments: