Pages

Tuesday 13 May 2008

Breast is Best - Isn't It?

That is a rhetorical question: I know it is. But, having written a post about how much I love breastfeeding, I can't stop thinking about all the things I don't love about it, and not just my limited wardrobe.

I don't love not knowing how much milk my baby has had on a hot summers day.

I don't love that she doesn't feed well when we are out, which happens a lot as she feeds every 2 1/2 hours, so then see above. (Yes, you can all say you should stretch her feeds out, but do you want to come and hold her while she cries and screams - no, I thought not.)

I don't love having my nipple stretched to unimaginable (except maybe at the Torture Garden) lengths as Isobel decides to look around or simply bob her head a bit. I will definitely not be feeding when she gets teeth.

Maybe, just maybe I'd like more than one glass of wine.

I love and don't love the fact that I am the only one who can feed her.

But all that said, there really is no reason to stop until she is four months old*. Six more weeks to go.

* Apparently this is when her digestive tract is 'closed' and so is better able to cope with non-boob milk substances.

No comments: