Pages

Tuesday 1 April 2008

The Proof is also in The Red Book

Isobel's life is documented in red books: my red diary logs the time and duration of her feeds, and her Red Book Health Record has everything medical.

Today, for the first time * we went to clinic to be weighed and to add an entry to the Red Book.

Isobel now weighs 4.12kgs (9.1lbs). PD calls her chunky, the Red Book says she's average.

I know the truth: she is beautiful and far from average.

I am relieved to know her 7-10 minute feeds are more than adequate, am no longer worried my milk isn't 'good enough'; most of all I'm happy to know she is a healthy growing girl who has moved from 25th percentile to 50th. (The Red Book also contains graphs.)

Me, I can fit in my skinny jeans, do them up and sit down, but it isn't comfy!

* I was a little worried about not knowing the form and looking foolish and being judged as a bad Mother. Silly, but it was a similar kind of anxiety I get meeting people in a bar I don't know or going to any strange place really, but with higher stakes.

No comments: