Pages

Saturday 19 July 2008

I've forgotten how to sleep

Well, so it seems.

Isobel has not had a feed in the night for the last 3 nights, but somehow I don't feel well rested. This sleeping through is not the result of any grand plan of mine, but rather it has just happened. Oh, and when I say sleeping through the night, I mean from Isobel's bedtime until morning, none of this dream feed shenanigans.

It started on Wednesday night when Isobel woke up at 10:30; now I know my little girl and her rhythms, I knew if I fed her then then she would be up every three hours in the night, so I simply soothed her back to sleep. Okay, okay I admit it I rocked her - I was tired and wanting to go to bed. Well, she went off quite quickly, so wasn't starving and I thought I'd see her again in a couple of hours. Me, I woke up at 3am and was so convinced she would wake up soon I made up a bottle, but she didn't; that bottle was discarded and a new one made at 6 am when she did wake up!

The next night Isobel didn't even stir until 4am, spurred on by the 'Core Period' concept - yes those damn books again - I simply soothed her back to sleep again. She'd proved she could do it once and she did it again.

The third night Isobel soothed herself back to sleep at four am, while I listened for every breath, murmur and thumb suck.

Oh why, oh why can I not just SLEEP!

No comments: